[Python-Dev] Re: reading info files

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 23:14:24 +0200

On dinsdag, april 16, 2002, at 07:27 , Fran=E7ois Pinard wrote:
> One has to remember the words Prev, Next and Up.  These are=20
> even written at
> the top of each Info page.  And whenever you see Menu, then=20
> Menu as well.
> Add SPC to move forward, and Quit.  One does not really need=20
> anything more.
> You might then enjoy Search and other goodies, if adventurous=20
> enough. :-)

The problem I always have with info files is the navigation if=20
you want to do more than prev/next/up. Plus the often deeply=20
nested structure that you can't break out of (which is why you=20
want more navigation commands). A book is nice: TOC, chapters,=20
index. A good manpage is nice: a 1-3 page document on a single=20
command. Info with its deep structure that it won't reveal to=20
you is cumbersome. And you can't even print it to read it=20
offline (at least: I always end up with an unstructured mess of=20
ASCII lines).
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com>       =20
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -