[Python-Dev] Adding Optik to 2.3 standard library

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
19 Apr 2002 13:38:45 +0100

Duncan Booth <duncan@rcp.co.uk> writes:

> On 17 Apr 2002, Aahz <aahz@pythoncraft.com> wrote:
>
> > Side note for those unfamiliar with this bit of Windows lore: all
> > versions of Windows claiming POSIX compatibility ship the pax utility,
> > and thus can read and write tar files.
>
> Not only that, but if you copy/rename the Windows pax.exe program to
> tar.exe or cpio.exe it changes its command line options to match. So all
> recent versions of Windows ship with tar and cpio included (sort of).

Oh, so thats why some of the files inside installer bundles on MacOS
have the extension .pax.gz.  Learn something every day.

Cheers,
M.

--
  languages shape the way we think, or don't.
                                        -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp