[Python-Dev] RE: [Python-checkins]python/dist/src/Objectsunicodeobject.c,2.139,2.140

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 19:43:44 -0400

[MAL]
> Tim, I don't get it... why all the fuzz about some missing asserts?

They were requested repeatedly, and would have saved everyone hours of
debugging time.  You didn't add asserts when requested, and didn't oppose
them either -- they just got ignored.  The last two times this routine was
implicated in memory corruption, you assumed it was a pymalloc bug, and
Martin had to do all the work of indentifying the true cause and then
convincing you of that.  The first time that was understandable, but the
second time it wasn't; then that the third version of the code still didn't
try to catch overwrites was over the edge.

> I must have missed Barry post, sorry.

Barry filed the latest bug report, and you closed it.  The memory corruption
showed up as a bad UTF-8 translation in Mailman:

    http://www.python.org/sf/541828

> I didn't leave out the asserts for any reason -- just didn't think
> about using them.

You would have had you read the comments on the bug reports you closed, so
I'm not sure what to make of that.  I'll be happy if you use asserts in the
future, when the code is getting too tricky to be obviously correct; that
shouldn't need to be a protracted battle.