[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 279 revisited

holger krekel pyth@devel.trillke.net
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:35:10 +0200

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 11:19:18AM +0200, Alex Martelli wrote:

> Of course, if a noun was to be chosen instead, 'enumeration' and
> 'itemization' would be horrid (long and cumbersome), but maybe
> some other alternatives could be more appealing.  'items', for example,
> would be appealing to me personally (by the already mentioned
> "rough analogy" with a dictionary's .items method -- which turns
> others off by being only rough and not exact, so that D.items()
> and items(D) would be different sequences of pairs, albeit with
> similar structures, for just about any dict D).

I would like to transform the 'rough' analogy
into an exact analogy :-)

If you consider lists to be a special dictionary
with implicit keys we can define 'items' to
generate (key,value) pairs for a collection so that

    for key,value in items(collection):
        collection[key]==value

holds no matter if collection is a list or a dictionary,

Additionally

   items(dict)==dict.items()

would be satisfied, so the analogy is better than 'rough'.

btw, i usually don't need an extra numbering for my dictionaries.
If really in need i would write

    list = dict.items()
    for index,item in items(list): ...

using the above semantics. Usually i use a list in the first place.

But i am afraid i am too late if this is the final voting...

  holger

--

P.S: As i am new to the list, i introduce myself here.
     Mailman told me to :-)

     I am using python only for a year or so but it is
     clearly the most productive language i have ever encountered.
     I am extremely happy to be able participate and
     contribute in c.l.py and the dev-list. Code and oppinions!

     A very big "thank you" to everyone here!!

     Coming from Assembler,c++,java -worlds i am doing lots
     of stuff with distributed systems. I am about to release
     an open source CORBA Transaction Service in C++ (http://xots.org).

     Sometimes i write for german computer magazines CT/iX.
     In the latter there will be an article about EuroPython :-)

     So much for now, feel free to ask, also in personal mail ...

	Holger