[Python-Dev] LOAD_NAME & classes

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:57:14 -0400

> > PyChecker goes a long way already.  Java has a mass of "definite
> > assignment" rules instead, which in effect decree that you must
> > write code in such a way that the compiler can always guess right.
>
> Are these explained in an easy to digest form somewhere?

Dunno, but I can easily guess the gist of it: a variable is only
defined on paths if it would still always be defined if all
conditional statements randomly chose between true or false, and all
loops executed a random number of times which may include zero.  I
assume that this means dependencies between variables are out (these
made the examples reported by Neil work).