[Python-Dev] PEP 279 revisited

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer@conectiva.com
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:52:34 -0300

> There's one nagging issue that I'd like to revisit.  I think I still
> like the name itemize() better than enumerate(), even though itemize()
> reminds some people of items().  Somehow that doesn't strike me as a
> strong argument: the words look pretty different to me.  I like
> itemize() better because (a) it's shorter, and (b) the LaTeX command
> "\itemize" can produce numbered lists (it can also produce bulleted
> lists).  I'm ready to open this one for a vote. :-)

+1 on enumerate().

I must confess I didn't understand the idea just looking at
that function's name. But once I've read the intention, I found
the function name perfect for the job.

Btw, your second argument seems to strike against you. AFAIK,
\begin{itemize} on LaTeX creates bulleted lists. To create enumerated
lists you must use \begin{enumerate}. ;-)

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]