[Python-Dev] PEP 279 revisited

Magnus Lie Hetland magnus@hetland.org
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:39:56 +0200

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org>:

> See http://python.org/peps/pep-0279.html
>
> There's one nagging issue that I'd like to revisit.  I think I still
> like the name itemize() better than enumerate(), even though itemize()
> reminds some people of items().  Somehow that doesn't strike me as a
> strong argument: the words look pretty different to me.  I like
> itemize() better because (a) it's shorter, and (b) the LaTeX command
> "\itemize" can produce numbered lists (it can also produce bulleted
> lists).  I'm ready to open this one for a vote. :-)

Well, the itemize environment can create any kind of list, but you'll
have to number the items manually... ;)

How about enum()? That's short, and sort of in the traditoin of
iter()... Can either be interpreted as a noun, an adjective, or a
verb...

Magnus Lie Hetland                                  The Anygui Project
http://hetland.org                                  http://anygui.org