[Python-Dev] re: PEP 279 revisited, formally

Steve Holden sholden@holdenweb.com
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:56:28 -0400

David Ascher wrote:

> I'll close with an anecdote which is even harder to apply to the case at
> hand.  My mom recently got her first Windows PC after using macs for
> years.  I'm talking to her on the phone:
>
>     "How do I throw things off of my desktop?"
>     "Just drag them to the trash can"
>     "But there's no trash can ... . oh, there's a recycle bin -- but I
> do't want to recycle, I want to throw it away!"

Given that Mac users eject removable media by dragging the media's icon onto
the trashcan, presumably there is already some ambiguity in their minds
about what the trashcan does.

An interesting conversation often results from asking Americans what the
difference is between trash and garbage. Given that the answer is "garbage
contains food waste", perhaps we should really trash-collect objects when
their refcount becomes zero?

I now return you to this important semantic discussion <0.85 wink>.

unless-of-course-you-eat-objects-ly y'rs  - steve
--
home: http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming: