[Python-Dev] More deprecations

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 23:03:41 -0400

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

> Neal Norwitz writes:
>  > Should the use of deprecated functions in the stdlib be removed?
>  >      string.atoi -> int
>  >      string.atof -> float
>  >      sys.exc_trackback -> sys.exc_info()[2]
>
> Yes, especially that last one, since there are thread safety issues.
>
>  >      ConfigParser.py:311: string.atoi is deprecated
>  >      ConfigParser.py:314: string.atof is deprecated
>  >      Cookie.py:331: string.atoi is deprecated
>  >      inspect.py:658: sys.exc_traceback is deprecated
>
> These are now fixed in CVS.  Thanks!

Great!  Thanks, you saved me the work.  I noticed your changes
to use string methods.  Should I change other uses?
I've got diffs for: ftplib, markupbase, and tabnanny.
Should I check those in?

What are the modules that should keep backwards compatability
with 1.5.2?  It seems these are currently:

	inspect
	pydoc
	sre*
	xmlrpclib