[Python-Dev] Making None a keyword

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 23:43:17 -0400

  >> I can help with the compiler changes.

  GvR> Great!  (Though I was hoping someone from outside PythonLabs --
  GvR> we're already too busy, and you in particular.)

If someone else wants to do it, I'll be happy to help.

I think it's a small project.  We've got a new node type in the
grammar -- None -- and we'll need a new opcode -- LOAD_NONE.  The
compiler just needs to generate a LOAD_NONE for every None node.

Does the parser prevent assignment to None?  Or does the compiler need
to check for the use of None in an assignment?

Jeremy