[Python-Dev] pymalloc and overallocation (unicodeobject.c,2.139,2.140 checkin)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:09:38 -0400

[Tim]
> The conclusion doesn't change, though: that's still in the range of
> block pymalloc handles (and will remain so unless I reduce
> pymalloc's small-object threshold below what's needed for pymalloc
> to handle small dicts on its own -- which I'm unlikely to do).

Would it make sense to change the Unicode object to use pymalloc, and
to change the UTF-8 codec to count the bytes if the shortest possible
output would fit in a pymalloc block?  (I guess this means that the
length of the Unicode string should be less than
SMALL_REQUEST_THRESHOLD - currently 256.)