[Python-Dev] pymalloc and overallocation (unicodeobject.c,2.139,2.140 checkin)

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
27 Apr 2002 00:14:34 +0200

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> Would it make sense to change the Unicode object to use pymalloc, and
> to change the UTF-8 codec to count the bytes if the shortest possible
> output would fit in a pymalloc block?  (I guess this means that the
> length of the Unicode string should be less than
> SMALL_REQUEST_THRESHOLD - currently 256.)

Given my measurements, that would make sense. I suspect that counting
small strings is quite efficient, so that the overhead of iterating
over the string twice hides in the noise of additional invocations.

Regards,
Martin