[Python-Dev] Re: Integrating timeoutsocket.py

Michael Gilfix mgilfix@eecs.tufts.edu
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 11:42:11 -0400

  Well, let's take a common restart scenario such as a SIGHUP or
something along those lines. The server has to restart and load a new
configuration file... Then I guess keeping client connections open is
a matter of policy. I'm just worried that somehow, someone structured
the server such that the clients rely on the main thread somehow. Hmm.
I guess it's easier just to default to it off. Makes more sense to
think of enabling a feature when subclassing anyway.

On Sun, Apr 28 @ 11:38, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I have to admit I'm pretty fuzzy on the details.  Running a server
> interactively and hitting ^C doesn't seem like a very common use case
> to me.  I'm not sure the setDaemon() is right in other situations --
> if a server decides to exit gracefully, shouldn't it let a client
> session run to completion?

`-> (guido)

--
Michael Gilfix