[Python-Dev] iterzip()

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 21:47:20 -0400

    RH> I started down this road, by checking code in the Vaults of
    RH> Parnassus on the assumption that zip() is rarely used outside
    RH> a for-loop.  What may be the killer is the examples of zip()
    RH> in Python books which demonstrate a stand-alone zip()
    RH> returning a list -- in some ways, textbook examples are just
    RH> as important as in-field code.

    RH> I will write-up a PEP to see if the world cares.  For all I
    RH> know, I may be the only who uses zip() throughout my code.
    RH> Zip is just new enough that it might not be too late to change
    RH> it to an iterator.

The question is how the zip() list is used.  E.g. if it just ends up
being the source of a for-loop sequence, then it makes little
difference in practice.

    RH> Does anyone know of an automated what that I can scan a large
    RH> body of published Python code.  I would want some real usage
    RH> statistics in a PEP but hate pulling modules down one at a
    RH> time and grepping them.

No, but it would be a really cool tool.  And if it's available via cgi
or some other commonly available process, Mark Hammond could add it to
his neat Mozilla sidebar.

Wild thought: write a cron script which does a cvs update every hour,
and runs Tools/scripts/eptags.py over the standard library.  Then
front a simple TAGS file searcher with cgi.  Then maybe we can put it
up on python.org's cgi-bin directory.

-Barry