[Python-Dev] iterzip()

Andrew MacIntyre andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:44:40 +1100 (edt)

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Tim Peters wrote:

> That is, at first glance it's *much* faster to do a million appends in pure
> Python than it is to let zip do them at C speed.  I'm curious about what
> people get for this program on other platforms (pymalloc on or off may make
> a dramatic difference too -- or not, depending on how the platform malloc
> works).

OS/2 EMX (2.2.1 without pymalloc)
  justpush   0.59
   justzip   8.85

OS/2 EMX (recent CVS with pymalloc)
  justpush   0.54
   justzip   8.81

FreeBSD 4.4 (2.1.1 w/o pymalloc)
  justpush  89.72
   justzip 110.41

FreeBSD 4.4 (recent CVS with pymalloc)
  justpush  19.21
   justzip  46.32

The FreeBSD box is more mature hardware (P5-166).  I'm surprised at the
difference in the 2 sets of results on it.  AFAIK, the compiler version
and switches are identical for the two interpreters (the 2.1.1 is from the
binary package on the FreeBSD 4.4 CDs).

E-mail: andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia