[Python-Dev] Enabling Python cross-compilation

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 16:22:35 +0200

On donderdag, augustus 1, 2002, at 03:50 , M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Someone just posted this link to the German Python mailing
> list:
>
>    http://www.ailis.de/~k/knowledge/crosscompiling/python.php
>
> The page contains instruction to cross compile Python for
> the ARM processor and includes a patch which enables cross
> compiling Python in a very generic way.

I like the idea, but I think it could be implemented slightly
cleaner (without need for the make clean and all the environment
variables). I was thinking something along the lines of having
two build subdirectories (as is already supported currently),
let's say build-host and build-crosscompile. Then you would
first configure and build normally in build-host, and then in
build-crosscompile do something like "CC=xxxx ETC ETC
../configure --hostbuilddir=../build-host". hostbuilddir would
be used for finding python and pgen, and would default to ".".
And I think all the funnies like EXEEXT would work correctly too.

(Please note that I'm not volunteering to write the code,
crosscompiling is not on my current wishlist)
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -