[Python-Dev] Re: Docutils/reStructuredText is ready to process PEPs

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri, 02 Aug 2002 12:38:52 +1200 (NZST)

Ka-Ping Yee <python-dev@zesty.ca>:

> To me, using "1.", "(1)", or "1)" to number a list makes no semantic
> difference at all, and so it counts as redundancy.

I imagine the variations are there so that RST documents
can be easily read in their own right. Having different
styles of headings, list numbers, etc. for different
levels aids readability.

Each of these features is no doubt useful for one
appplication or another, but we're talking about
a fairly restricted application here. Docstrings are
usually pretty short and not likely to require
multiple levels of headings, lists, etc.

So I'm in favour of choosing a subset to recommend,
perhaps mandate. Maybe a slightly larger subset
could be used for PEPs, since they're somewhat
bigger.