[Python-Dev] Sorting

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 23:04:41 -0400

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002, Tim Peters wrote:

> In an effort to save time on email (ya, right ...), I wrote up a pretty
> detailed overview of the "timsort" algorithm.  It's attached.

It seems pretty clear by now that the new mergesort is going to replace
samplesort, but since nobody else has said this, I figured I'd add one
more comment:

I actually understood your description of the new mergesort algorithm.
Unless you can come up with similar docs for samplesort, the Beer Truck
scenario dictates that mergesort be the new gold standard.

Or to quote Tim Peters, "Complex is better than complicated."
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Project Vote Smart: http://www.vote-smart.org/