[Python-Dev] PEP 298, final (?) version

Scott Gilbert xscottg@yahoo.com
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:55:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- Aahz <aahz@pythoncraft.com> wrote:

> Seems to me that part of my confusion lies in the fact that PEP 296 says
> that the bytes object is suitable for implementing arrays, whereas the
> discussion surrounding PEP 298 coughed up the issue that pure fixed
> buffers without locking were insufficient for arrays.

Theoretically, you could use the bytes object and the struct module to
implement something that is functionally equivalent to arrays from
arraymodule.c (at least from the Python scripting point of view).  Lets
call that hypothetical reimplementation "array.py".  However, since arrays
from arraymodule.c can be resized in place, the pointer is not necessarily
constant for the lifetime of the array object.

Cheers,
    -Scott