[Python-Dev] seeing off SET_LINENO

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sat, 03 Aug 2002 20:43:05 -0400

[Michael Hudson]
> It's about 5%:
>
> $ ../../build/python pystone.py
> Pystone(1.1) time for 100000 passes = 8.11
> This machine benchmarks at 12330.5 pystones/second
> $ ../../build/python pystone.py
> Pystone(1.1) time for 100000 passes = 7.69
> This machine benchmarks at 13003.9 pystones/second

If I didn't know better, I'd think you ran the same python twice there.

> I can run the vanilla pystone whilst compiling or something if you
> like :)

That's OK, the speedup will be larger on Windows.  I can guarantee that,
since I'll be doing the Windows timings <wink>.

> It's the old boys club effect: I worked damn hard to get to the point
> of understanding this stuff, so everyone else should bloody well have
> to too!
> All I can say is that I'd been driven insane by co_lnotab and
> Python/compile.c when I wrote that comment <wink>.

I understand.  It was insanity that drove me to write the co_lnotab comments
that tempted you into believing it was possible to do something rational
with it, and I apologize for that <wink>.  I like the new comments!  Thank
you.