[Python-Dev] Dafanging the find() gotcha

Andrew Koenig ark@research.att.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:35:01 -0400 (EDT)

Tim> The distinction between empty and non-empty is the only one being made here,
Tim> and (unlike picking on 'asouf'etc) is a natural distinction in its domain.

Fair enough.

Nevertheless, you have not convinced me that this distinction
is useful in this context.

I will agree with you that (a) Many times, people search for literals
in strings, and (b) it is hard to imagine why an empty literal would
be useful.

However, that says nothing to me about why an expression of the form
(s in t) should be considered an error when s has no characters.
And it says even less about why it would be a good idea to have
the result of such a search yield different results in different contexts.