[Python-Dev] Dafanging the find() gotcha

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 18:49:45 -0500

[Tim Peters]

> Of course '' is a prefix of any string whatsoever, so it's not like the
> final result is of much use (it's more like "no information in, no
> information out").

I just never thought of a Python string as beginning and ending with a null.
So the fact that find('') and rfind('') both return something other than -1
was surprising to me. My "plain English" intrepretation of the docstring for
find gave me the impression that if I searched for a single character and
got back an index other than -1 that I could then retrieve that character
from the string and it would equal the character used in the original
search.

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech