[Python-Dev] Re: Dafanging the find() gotcha

David Abrahams David Abrahams" <dave@boost-consulting.com
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:57:08 -0400

A relevant discussion came up recently on the boost list. In our regex
library there's a function which tells you whether a string was a partial
match to the beginning of a pattern. The example used in the docs was a
credit-card number validator which watches what you type and beeps at you
if there's a mistake. Unfortunately, the implementation would return false
if the input string was empty. Of course that required special-casing for
the empty string. Eventually complaints from users caused the library
maintainer to change his mind about the response to the empty string.

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/search?query=another+regex+partial+match+b
ug&type=Archive_boost_list&x=0&y=0

FWIW-ly yr's,
Dave