[Python-Dev] Deprecation warning on integer shifts and such

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 00:19:06 +0200

Jack Jansen wrote:
> As of recently I'm getting deprecation warnings on lots of constructs of
> the form "0xff << 24", telling me that in Python 2.4 this will return a
> long.

Interesting. I wonder why the implementation warns about 0xff << 24...
0xff000000 fits nicely into a 32-bit integer. I don't see why the
"changing sign" is relevant here or even why it is mentioned in the
warning since the PEP doesn't say anything about it.

Changing these semantics would cause compatibility problems for
applications doing low-level bit manipulations or ones which use
the Python integer type to store unsigned integer values, e.g.
for use as bitmapped flags.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH