[Python-Dev] Deprecation warning on integer shifts and such

Oren Tirosh oren-py-d@hishome.net
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 02:37:32 -0400

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 12:19:06AM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Changing these semantics would cause compatibility problems for
> applications doing low-level bit manipulations or ones which use
> the Python integer type to store unsigned integer values, e.g.
> for use as bitmapped flags.

I'm very much in favor of this change but a deprecation warning is not
enough - some suitable replacement should be provided to cryptographers
and other bit fiddlers.

Proposal:

A standard module implementing the types [u]int[8|16|32|64]. These types
would behave just like C integers - wrap around on overflow, etc and have
a guaranteed size regardless of platform. They can even have methods for
bit rotation.

	Oren