[Python-Dev] 32-bit values (was RE: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Lib/test test_zlib.py,1.18,1.19)

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:45:24 -0400

[Guido]
> Such programs will have to be changed to use format code "L" instead.

[Tim]
> I'm not following this.  At least binascii.crc32() always
> produces a 32-bit signed int now, so there's no *need* to use "L" now.
> Are you saying that binascii.crc32() should be changed to return a
> non-negative value always?  Also the other xyz.abc32() functions?

[Guido]
> Um, I thought *you* were proposing that!  What else did you mean by
> "It would sure be nice if they returned values in range(0, 2**32)
> instead" ?

I did suggest it, yes.  Had you said "Such programs *would* have to be
changed ...", my response would have been different.  But you said "will",
which reads like you already decided such a change will be made.  Now it
sounds like it's undecided (OK by me either way, I'm just trying to locate
our current position on the map <wink>).