[Python-Dev] PEP 277 (unicode filenames): please review

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
13 Aug 2002 00:27:51 +0200

Trent Mick <trentm@ActiveState.com> writes:

> We (ActiveState) are committed to getting the functionality in -- which
> means that David and myself can help with coding and testing.  Depending
> on the schedule, I can help with e.g. filling out the test suite.  We
> can also setup some test machines to test things that are probably too
> odd to fit in the test suite.
>
> Martin, if there is anything we can do to help with for this patch,
> please let us know.

At the moment, a review would be most appreciated. Please consider
Guido's comments as being taken care of, except for the test suite.

Neil's original patch (winunichanges.zip) has a number of test cases,
for various file names, and for open, os.{stat, rename, mkdir, chdir,
_getfullpathname}. You could start from that, or make your own test
cases - "full coverage" (in terms of tested functions) appears to be
desirable, and it should not print to stdout, but assert things
instead.

In addition, I have no W9x system. I assume Neil is right in his
analysis that the *W functions are not useful/not available on W9x?
If so, somebody should test that the resulting Python binary still
runs on W9x, falling back to the FileSystemDefaultEncoding.

Regards,
Martin