[Python-Dev] Deprecation warning on integer shifts and such

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:02:59 +0200

Martin:

> Before that happens, you might want to anticipate that problem, and
> propose an implementation that means minimum changes for you - it then
> will likely mean minimum changes for everybody else, as well. Perhaps
> "k" isn't such a good solution, perhaps "I" is better, or perhaps "i"
> should weaken its range checking, and emit a deprecationwarning when
> an unsigned number is passed.

The least amount of work for me would be caused by keeping "i" semantics
as they are, of course.

If we switch to "k" for integers in the range -2**-31..2**31-1 that
would not be too much work, as a lot of the code is generated (I would
take the quick and dirty approach of using k for all my integers). Only
the hand-written code would have to be massaged by hand.

If we have only pure signed and pure unsigned converters it would mean
an extraordinary amount of work, but luckily it seems that that is not
going to happen.

On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 02:34 , Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Why is it so hard to get people to think about what they need?  (I
> mean beyond "I don't want anything to change" or vague things like
> that.  I am looking for an API that will make developers like Jack as
> well as other extension developers happy, but it feels like pulling
> teeth.

It feels that way because pulling teeth is probably exactly the right
analogy: what you're doing is probably a good idea in the long run, but
right now it hurts...

http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -