[Python-Dev] PEP 293, Codec Error Handling Callbacks

Walter Dörwald walter@livinglogic.de
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 13:38:53 +0200

Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> [...]
>>For the charmap codec it's mostly about performance. I don't
>>have objections for other codecs which rely on external
>>resources.
>

> Please remember that we are still about error handling here, and that
> the normal case will be "strict", which usually results in aborting
> the computation.
>
> So I don't see the performance issue even for the charmap codec.

I guess this code might be used inside a webserver that outputs XML
results and that honors the Accept-Charset header from the client,
so it must do encoding on the fly.

So I want the code to be as fast as possible.

Bye,
    Walter Dörwald