[Python-Dev] PEP 277 (unicode filenames): please review

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:04:32 -0400

> As Walter explains, he has \u006f\u0308, which is
>
> \N{LATIN SMALL LETTER O}\N{COMBINING DIAERESIS}
>
> This could be normalized to
>
> \N{LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS}
>
> which then can be encoded as Latin-1. This, of course, requires the
> databases for normalization (canonical composition and decomposition).

But if you pass the normalized string (or the Latin-1 string) to
open(), will it find the file?  I.e. if the filesystem has the
unnormalized name stored in its directory, will filesystem requests
normalize filenames before comparing them?

Jack, can you try to do that?  Can you try open('fr\xf6r') in that
directory?