[Python-Dev] Bugs #544740: test_commands test fails under Cygwin

Jason Tishler jason@tishler.net
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:46:29 -0400

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 09:08:53AM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Anyway, suggestions on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated.
>
> The obvious fix would be a better regular expression.

I thought of that before I submitted my bug report.  Unfortunately,
deriving the better regular expression is not obvious.

The following is what I have come up with:

pat = r'''d.........             # directory
          \s+\d+                 # number of links
          (\s+\w+)+              # user and group which can contain spaces
          \s+\d+                 # size
***>      \s+\w+\s+\d+\s+[\d:]+  # date <***
          \s+/\.                 # file name
        '''

Unfortunately, I had to make an assumption on the date format in order
to match the user and group names regardless of the number of embedded
spaces.  Is my date regular expression acceptable?  Will it work in non
US locales?

> Please submit a patch.

I will do so, once I get some feedback.

Thanks,