[Python-Dev] hex constants, bit patterns, PEP 237 warnings and gettext

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 01:18:27 -0400

    BAW> These really are intended as 32 bit patterns, not signed
    BAW> integers.  Hex constants seem like the most straightforward
    BAW> way to spell such bit patterns.  If I wanted MASK to be -1 I
    BAW> would have spelled it that way!

    Guido> (Never mind the gettext.py > warnings; they're shallow;
    Guido> someone should fix them.)

    TP> I submitted a patch for that to SF and assigned it to Barry (I
    TP> have no idea how to test gettext.py).

BTW, I grok the other changes in Tim's patch.  struct's got an `I'
code for unpacking unsigned ints now, so it makes perfect sense to use
that instead of `i' w/ masking.

-Barry