[Python-Dev] Deprecation warning on integer shifts and such

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:26:58 -0400

> > How about the following counterproposal.  This also changes some of
> > the other format codes to be a little more regular.
> >
> > Code    C type          	Range check
> >
> > b	unsigned char		0..UCHAR_MAX
> > B	unsigned char		none **
> > h	unsigned short		0..USHRT_MAX
> > H	unsigned short		none **
> > i	int			INT_MIN..INT_MAX
> > I *	unsigned int		0..UINT_MAX
> > l	long			LONG_MIN..LONG_MAX
> > k *	unsigned long		none
> > L	long long		LLONG_MIN..LLONG_MAX
> > K *	unsigned long long	none
> >
> > Notes:
> >
> > * New format codes.
> >
> > ** Changed from previous "range-and-a-half" to "none"; the
> >    range-and-a-half checking wasn't particularly useful.
>
> Fine with me.

OK, I've added this to my TODO list (python.org/sf/595026, assigned to
me -- but if someone else wants to do it, please assign to yourself or
submit a patch and leave a note in the bug item!).