[Python-Dev] type categories

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:40:47 -0400

> > Time to write a PEP.
>
> I don't know how these things usually work, but isn't it a bit early
> for that?

Not at all.  If you want multiple dispatch to go into the language,
you'll have to educate the rest of us here, both about the advantages,
and how it can be implemented with reasonable, Pythonic semantics.
A PEP is the perfect vehicle for that.  A PEP doesn't have to *start*
as a full formal proposal.  It can go through stages and eventually
end up being rejected before there ever was a full formal proposal,
*or* it will eventually evolve into a full formal proposal.  (For
example, PEPs 245 and 246 are examples of PEPs in the very early
stages.  I expect PEP 245 was too early, but PEP 246 strikes me as
just the right thing to get a meaningful discussion started.)