[Python-Dev] Deprecation warning on integer shifts and such

Paul Svensson paul@svensson.org
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:30:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>> Just a thougth: if it's true that those using hex() and %x are more
>> interested in the bit values than the numerical value of the whole number,
>> would a format like ~0xff000 be easier to interpret (and stop this debate) ?
>
>Hmm...  It has a perverse Pythonic smell...  But I fear it would
>introduce more backwards incompatibilities, because it would have to
>apply to longs as well, and hence change the output whenever a
>negative long is converted to hex or octal.  (And what about %u?
>Should "%u" % -1 return "~0" too?)

Didn't you say "%u" would be going away ?
You're right about octal, that would be nice to change, too.
Maybe the right time to do the change would be when the L goes away,
since that would be similarly invasive ?

	/Paul