[Python-Dev] PEP 277 (unicode filenames): please review

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:42:16 +1200 (NZST)

Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com>:

> Python jumps through hoops to make 'jack' and u'jack' compare=20
> identical and be interchangeable in dict keys and what have you,=
=20
> and now suddenly I find out that there's two ways to say u'j=E4ck'=
=20
> and they won't compare equal. Not good.

To me, this says that Python should pick one of the
canonical forms and make sure all its Unicode strings
are normalised to it. (Or at least make it appear
as if they are.)

Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept, +---------------------------------=
-----+
University of Canterbury,=09   | A citizen of NewZealandCorp, a=09  |
Christchurch, New Zealand=09   | wholly-owned subsidiary of USA Inc. =

greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz=09   +------------------------------------=
--+