[Python-Dev] Mutable exceptions? (was Re: PEP 293, Codec Error Handling Callbacks)

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:04:11 -0400

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:
>>
>> What ? That exceptions are immutable ? I think it's a big win that
>> exceptions are in fact mutable -- they are great for transporting
>> extra information up the chain...
>
> I see. So this is an open issue.

This looks like an issue that potentially deserves more community
feedback, so I'm ripping it out and starting a new thread: should
exception objects be treated as mutable as exceptions get caught and
re-raised?

(I'm not suggesting any code changes, just trying to get a feel for what
"standard practice" ought to be, partly for the book I'm writing.)
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Project Vote Smart: http://www.vote-smart.org/