[Python-Dev] Python build trouble with the new gcc/binutils

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:36:26 -0400

One quick problem that I ran into when trying to build with gcc 3.2,
installed in /usr/local/bin on a RH 7.3 system: I had to use
--with-cxx=/usr/local/bin/c++ otherwise I got this error:

-------------------- snip snip --------------------
% ./configure --with-pydebug
checking MACHDEP... linux2
checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for --with-cxx=<compiler>... no
checking for c++... c++
checking for C++ compiler default output... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.

Even though:

% c++ --version
c++ (GCC) 3.2

No time to dig into this right now, but I thought I'd report it.
-Barry