[Python-Dev] Python build trouble with the new gcc/binutils

Andrew Koenig ark@research.att.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:42:24 -0400 (EDT)

Zack> Can you disable all use of dynamic loading and try the build again?

I can, but I'm not sure it will help.

I had a very similar problem earlier, which I definitely traced to
a bug in gnu ld:  If you say

  ld libtcl8.3.so

where libtcl8.3.so is as distributed by ActiveTcl, it dumps core.
What I found was that setup.py was ultimately invoking the gnu linker
which, in turn, was casing the problem by crashing.

So it may be that the problem is still in the linker; I just don't have
a clue as to where.   Anyway, I'll try some experiments and see if
I can find something interesting.