[Python-Dev] Python build trouble with the new gcc/binutils

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
16 Aug 2002 21:04:29 +0200

Andrew Koenig <ark@research.att.com> writes:

> Guido> I'm guessing that gcc 3.2 somehow also installs binutils 2.13 and that
> Guido> the bug is in the latter.
>
> I see no evidence that gcc 3.2 installs binutils 2.13.
> In particular, if I install gcc 3.2, *then* install
> binutils 2.12.1, it still fails.

You can't do that (if installing 2.12.1 means to downgrade from
2.13). gcc configuration analyses features of binutils at configure
time, and relies on those features to be present at run-time.

Are you sure that gcc picks up the binutils you had installed when you
configured gcc? In particular, what happens if you do

gcc --print-prog-name=as
gcc --print-prog-name=ld

Are those the once that you had in PATH when configuring?

Regards,
Martin