[Python-Dev] Python build trouble with the new gcc/binutils -- last word for now (I hope)

Andrew Koenig ark@research.att.com
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 09:29:32 -0400 (EDT)

After trying various long-running tests on various machines, I have
determined the following:

1) The culprit appears to be binutils 2.13, not gcc 3.2.  If I use
   binutils 2.13 with gcc 3.2 or gcc 3.1.1, Python does not install.
   If I use binutils 2.12.1 with gcc 3.2 or gcc 3.1.1, Python installs.
   What was misleading me yesterday was some kind of version skew,
   perhaps caused by compiling gcc 3.2 with binutils 2.13; when I
   recompiled gcc 3.2 after installing binutils 2.12.1, all was well.

2) The little dynamic-linker test program is a reliable indicator
   for this problem.

I have filed a binutils bug report.

I will also file a sourceforge bug report for python, suggesting that
the dynamic-linker test program should be included as part of the
configuration process, as an early warning against this problem.

Thanks for all the help!