[Python-Dev] PEP 269 versus 283.

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:17:54 -0400

> There's a downside that you'd then be committed to supporting
> it, even if Python stopped using pgen itself some time in the
> future.

I'm not worried about that in this case.  First of all, supporting
pgen shouldn't be too much of an effort (I can see translating it into
Python at some point :-).  It could also be degraded into a 3rd party
module.  And if we switch to something better, the something better
will probably act as a better replacement for pgen (though with a
different API), coaxing people to upgrade anyway.