[Python-Dev] PEP 218 (sets); moving set.py to Lib

Raymond Hettinger python@rcn.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:27:06 -0400

From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido@python.org>
> I am still perplexed that I receoved *no* feedback on the sets module
> except on this issue of sort order (which I consider solved by adding
> a method _repr() that takes an optional 'sorted' argument).

I think the __init__() code in BaseSet should be pushed down into Set and ImmutableSet.  It should be replaced by code raising a
TypeError just like we do for basestring:

>>> basestring('abc')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: The basestring type cannot be instantiated

Raymond Hettinger

P.S.  More comments are on the way as we play with, profile, review, optimize, and document the module ;)