[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/nondist/sandbox/spambayes GBayes.py,1.7,1.8

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:06:34 -0700

Some perhaps relevant links (with no off-topic discusssion):

 * http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/bogofilter/

 * http://www.ai.mit.edu/~jrennie/ifile/

 *
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=ajk8mj%241c3qah%243%40ID-125932.news.dfncis.de

"""My finding is that it is _nowhere_ near sufficient to have two
populations, "spam" versus "not spam."

If you muddle together the Nigerian Pyramid schemes with the "Penis
enhancement" ads along with the offers of new credit cards as well as
the latest sites where you can talk to "hot, horny girls LIVE!", the
statistics don't work out nearly so well.

It's hard to tell, on the face of it, why Nigerian scams _should_ be
considered textually similar to phone sex ads, and in practice, the
result of throwing them all together"

There are a few things left to improve about Ifile, and I'd like to
redo it in some language fundamentally less painful to work with than
C """