[Python-Dev] Mac OSX issues

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 05:01:12 -0500

>     GvR> - test_re crashes unless I do ulimit -s 2000 -- haven't tried
>     GvR> other values, but the default of 512 (KB) is insufficient.  I
>     GvR> know the README file explains this, but now that I've
>     GvR> experienced this myself, I wonder if we shouldn't hack main()
>     GvR> to increase the stack size to 2 MB, inside an #ifdef darwin
>     GvR> or something like that.

[Barry]
> +1, but I'll defer to Jack.  We discussed this a while back (for
> Py2.2.2 IIRC), which is when I updated the README bit.  FWIW,
> Pipermail (in Mailman) suffers the same fate and contains the
> following bit of code.

Thanks!  I've added your code to regrtest.py.  I'm reluctant to do
this in PyMain(), because I don't know whether this adds to Python's
resource usage; the re tests are pretty extreme.

I'm also considering disabling test_largefile on Mac OSX unless a -u
option is given.

I'm still seeing errors in test_socket; today (on a different network)
I got this:

test test_socket failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/guido/python/src/Lib/test/test_socket.py", line 223, in testHostnameRes
    ip = socket.gethostbyname(hostname)
gaierror: (7, 'No address associated with nodename')