[Python-Dev] Mac OSX issues

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:43:01 -0600

    Guido> I'm still seeing errors in test_socket; today (on a different
    Guido> network) I got this:

    Guido> test test_socket failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
    Guido>   File "/Users/guido/python/src/Lib/test/test_socket.py", line 223, in testHostnameRes
    Guido>     ip = socket.gethostbyname(hostname)
    Guido> gaierror: (7, 'No address associated with nodename')

What does the hostname(1) command return?  By default I think it generates
some oddball thing like "Montanaro.local.".  Apple calls it a Rendevous
name.  (I've no idea what that is.)  The fix for me was recommended by
another group: get a dyndns.org account and change the HOSTNAME line in
/etc/hostconfig from

    HOSTNAME=-AUTOMATIC-

    HOSTNAME=montanaro.dyndns.org

Skip