[Python-Dev] New and Improved Import Hooks

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:51:38 +0100

Moore, Paul wrote:

> Have you looked at Gordon McMillan's import utilities? He handles
> this by having a "shadowpath" in the manager which maps sys.path
> entries to "Owners", where each Owner is responsible for loading
> from one location (directory, zipfile, whatever).
>
> I'm convinced you're reinventing the wheel here, at least in part.
> (But reinventing it in C, rather than Python, so it's not a
> completely bad thing :-))

In the meantime things have changed: death to sys.import_hooks, and yay to
arbitrary objects on sys.path. I think this is more or less the same as iu.py,
except that there's no need for a "shadowpath" (if not a string, the sys.path
item _is_ the "owner").

Just