[Python-Dev] Import compromise

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
07 Dec 2002 21:54:09 +0100

Aahz <aahz@pythoncraft.com> writes:

> I'm seeing some convergence on basic criteria needed for a Grand Import
> Redesign, but I'm not seeing convergence on the actual design itself.
> Time is running short for 2.3, and people making hasty decisions make
> poor decisions.

I disagree with this analysis. Time is not running short for Python
2.3: there isn't even a release schedule, yet, and I question promises
that an alpha release will be produced this year.

> Split the PEP 273 patch into two parts.  The first part is the
> absolutely critical modifications to import.c, which basically boils
> down to making a function call every time you access a '*.zip' string on
> sys.path.  Everything else goes into zipimport.c, a compiled-in module
> like socket.  (I'd even support making zipimport.c an include file for
> import.c)

Good plan. Who is going to provide the implementation?

I think Just would be happily drop his implementation if such a change
would magically appear, but I think that is unlikely to happen.

Regards,
Martin