[Python-Dev] zipimport, round 3 (or would that be that 37?)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 23:53:28 +0100

paul wrote:

> To be honest, I think that this is one of the nastiest hurdles to
> writing a good import hook - replicating (or even understanding the
> logic for!) the hairy extension and timestamp checking code used for
> normal imports. Refactoring and encapsulating that would potentially
> help in a lot of cases. Except that maybe it's not always exactly the
> same (you can't write a compiled .pyc file back to a zip file, you
> can't load a C extension from a zipfile, ...) But that isn't an issue
> for this patch.

do you have real use cases for this?  I would have thought that the
vast majority of users of a feature like this would use it to "freeze" a
collection of modules for use with their application.

emulating a file system when you already have a file system seems a
bit like overkill...

</F>