[Python-Dev] zipimport, round 3 (or would that be that 37?)

Samuele Pedroni pedronis@bluewin.ch
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:33:33 +0100

From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido@python.org>

> > Finn has already said that but I repeat it, there are cases for Jython for
> > which this cannot work, involving import hooks that correspond
> > to runtime only objects.
>
> Can you give an example?

Java class loaders,

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/api/java/lang/ClassLoader.html

from them one can retrieve java classes or data resources.

E.g. when Jython is embedded, the embedding enviroment can have setup
classloaders to access Jython code and other bundled data
( getResource, getResourceAsStream).
And our users would like to bundle and access Python code from there.

They are purely runtime object, and an abstraction over the filesystem, zip
files or some remote code repository of whatever...

regards.